MONTHLY RISK BULLETIN ISSUED: APRIL 2021
14 April 2021
The monthly risk briefing reports on new, emerging or deteriorating situations; therefore, ongoing events that are considered to be unchanged are not featured and risks that are beyond the scope and scale of the Start Fund are also not featured. It is collated by the Start Network Anticipation and Risk Financing team using information from academia and research institutes, government departments, ACAPS, global risk indexes, risk information provided by Start Members and their partners, and the media. Key risks are shared and collated each month with FOREWARN input.
This month’s Risk Brief includes:
- The potential forced closure of Dadaab and Kakuma camps in Kenya.
- The risk of continued violence in Mozambique spilling over into the region.
- Political tensions ahead of the June elections in Ethiopia amid the ongoing situation in Tigray and Renaissance dam.
- Meanwhile, there is a heightened risk of drought in Angola and Somalia.
- Eastern Pacific is entering typhoon season and the volcanic eruption on Saint Vincent is likely to lead to displacement.