DOCUMENT TAGS Risk Financing
MONTHLY RISK BULLETIN ISSUED: OCTOBER 2020
19 October 2020
The monthly risk briefing reports on new, emerging or deteriorating situations; therefore, ongoing events that are considered to be unchanged are not featured and risks that are beyond the scope and scale of the Start Fund are also not featured. It is collated by the Start Network Anticipation and Risk Financing team using information from academia and research institutes, government departments, ACAPS, global risk indexes, risk information provided by Start Members and their partners, and the media. Key risks are shared and collated each month with FOREWARN input.
What is high priority this month?
- Escalating violence ahead of elections in Cote d’Ivoire.
- The risk of increased cholera cases is high across countries in Africa affected by recent flooding, as displaced populations return.
- The indicators of La Nina occurring mean countries around the world may experience above-average wet conditions, including South East Asia which is expected to continue to experience heavy rainfall and subsequent flooding, and secondary impacts.
- Despite the ceasefire between Armenia and Azerbaijan, the risk of displacement persists.
- Upcoming elections in Central African Republic, Tanzania, Somalia and Burkina Faso pose a risk of increased violence.
- Agencies are warning that winter conditions could have serious impacts for inhabitants of camps in Greece.