Monthly Risk Bulletin Issued: September 2020
15 September 2020
The monthly risk briefing reports on new, emerging or deteriorating situations; therefore, ongoing events that are considered to be unchanged are not featured and risks that are beyond the scope and scale of the Start Fund are also not featured. It is collated by the Start Network Anticipation and Risk Financing team using information from academia and research institutes, government departments, ACAPS, global risk indexes, risk information provided by Start Members and their partners, and the media. Key risks are shared and collated each month with FOREWARN input.
What is high priority this month?
- Escalating violence ahead of elections in Guinea and Cote d’Ivoire after presidents in both countries announced they are running for a third time.
- Further flooding is anticipated across East Africa, West Africa and Central America.
- The Eastern Pacific is heading into the peak of hurricane season, during a historically highly active period.
- UNHCR are warning of potential mass displacement in Eastern DRC.
- Signals are pointing to a potential Autumn La Nina occurring and bringing wet conditions.
- Fall Armyworm could spread across the Pacific if not mitigated.