This paper has been written to inform discussion between donors, the United Nations and NGOs about an emerging tension between two important goals: building local capacity and managing programmatic risk.
Five challenges are presented from the experience of INGOs that influence the degree to which local capacity can be effectively built:
- donor cost constraints unintentionally mitigate local capacity
- linear thinking stifles innovation and risk
- compliance requirements distort capacity building
- national and local NGO receive little direct funding
- simple practicalities block local access to funding.